Friday, May 11, 2012

The Big Thompson - Colorado

   Elk and bighorn sheep are frequently spotted in the Estes Park, Colorado area. As we headed into town - there in the middle of the road was an elk. It plunged into the brush - down the embankment and across the meadow. It was a cloudy gray start to the day, and I was optimistic. It had been unseasonably hot, and I thought the break in the weather would spark the trout into a feeding frenzy.
         My friend Jason had hired a guide from the Rocky Mountain Anglers a few miles away. The guide's name was Leigh Gardner - and we met up with him outside Estes Park. Leigh took us to the Big Thompson - which runs in the shadow of Longs Peak - through town - and downstream into Loveland, Colorado.
      We began just off the road - under the bridge below where the river exits Lake Estes and meanders along a short meadow.
   Leigh hooked me up with a small Blue Wing Olive mayfly (BWO) - with a green emerger nymph trailing about ten inches behind. He and Jason moved downstream, around the corner. I fished just under the bridge. It was not long before I hooked a small brown and netted him. A gentle rain began to fall, but not enough to stop us from fishing.
        After a while I moved down stream a bit and Leigh came to check on me. As I was talking to him, another fish hit. But I failed to hook him!
        Leigh decided to take us down stream a bit further. He sent me across the stream to a pool against the far bank. There was a downed tree underwater, but plenty of room for me to cast without snagging. I switched my upper fly to a Pale Morning Dun (PMD) - and then a green emerger below. Leigh instructed me to cast as close to the bank and old tree as possible. I made a few nice casts - and wham! I netted my second brown of the day.
   Meanwhile, Jason switched his rig to match mine, and eventually got one on his side of the river. I moved up steam a few yards - still fishing close to the bank. Bang! I caught another. Once again I moved, but only a few short yards upstream. And I netted my fourth trout of the morning.
       After a while, Leigh moved us down another mile or so. We came to a bend in the river where the water was moving more slowly. We could see trout rising close to the far bank. I tried several times to hook two trout, but could never get them to bite. I moved downstream and Jason moved to my slot and was able to hook 'em.
     Before we knew it, our time with Leigh had expired and it was time to go. But between us, Jason and I netted seven fish - had a great time - meet a great guide - and learned another fishing location.
      Leigh was great and I highly recommend him. Look him up at http://www.rockymountainanglers.com/
     Before we left for the day, Leigh suggested we try the Sylvandale Dude Ranch. It is located along a private stretch of the Big Thompson, outside Loveland, Colorado. He said the fishing there is great. Turns out, I happened to be heading there two days later. More on that at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment