Monday, June 11, 2012

A Boy's First Fish:

    This is a special fishing story for me. I have to admit right now that we did not catch this fish by fly fishing. But this weeknd I took my boy fishing for the first time. We caught only one, but it was a beautiful rainbow. Jack and I were thrilled.
Father & Son's 1st Fishing

    Jack is only 3.  Still too little for fly fishing. He has seen me practice casting, but this was his introductory outting. This is the first time he has even seen a trout up close. He has heard dad talk about going fishing. And he has been promised to go some day, but this is the first time he has experienced what it's all about.
      I took him to an old stand-by. A place where I have never been "skunked".  I just wanted him to have fun, enjoy the outting, and feel success. So, we went to a pond in the rear of Donner Memorial State park in Truckee, CA.
     I brought my fly rod, but it was fairly gusty, making a good cast nearly impossible. So I resorted to a spinning rod and salmon eggs.
      I showed Jack how to cast. The hardest part for him was being patient. He wanted to shake the rod - and reel the line - and above all - throw rocks.
Jack's first trout

Fishing was slow. There was a break in gusts. You could see them coming by the chop on the surface of the pond. So, I took the opportunity to get a good cast.
    As I threw - I noticed a fish break the surface - and my line hit just a few feet from him. Pure accident.


   Within moments, I had a hit. I waited. I called for Jack, and he ran over. Then I had another hit - and another. I set the hook and the tip bent. I felt the power of the trout, and knew it was a good sized one. I let Jack take the rod - but assisted with reeling, as it was still a little complex for him.  
        Soon, I had the trout near the bank. The water was clear and Jack could see him well. I landed him and Jack was thrilled.
   The fish was hooked deep, so I could not release him. I measured. He was 18 inches long - and he was thick. We landed a beautiful raibow trout. Jack's very first. We took the fish home right then and there - and cooked him on the grill for dinner that night.

Jack meets fish

      It took 51 years for this moment to arrive in my life. It was perfect. I had not planned it before I took Jack, but this is the same spot I took my dad a few years ago. It was the last time he and I ever fished before he passed away. My dad loved to fish. He taught me all I know about the sport. He left us before Jack was born. I wish I could have shared this moment with dad, but to bring my little buddy to the place grandpa and I once fished - and to have success the way we did was quite special.

I shall never forget this day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment