Thursday, April 26, 2012

Feather River - Graeagle, California

    There are several places that are easy to acces off Highway 70 - and there are other places a bit more remote via back roads and hiking trails.
       I saw a lot of bugs. There were caddis, and mayflies, and gnats, and moths of all sizes, shapes and colors. I had good luck with blue winged olives - yellow stones - and hare's ear flies.
    I tried nymphs, dries, and a combo of both. Everything seemed to work. They especially liked the yellow stone dry, with a yellow stone nymph dropper combo.
       There are several deep pools and slow water - but I had better luck fishing the riffles and faster moving water below small drop-offs. I think the water was better oxygenated and had better nutrients, therefore more bugs.
      Many of the trout I caught were small. But they put up a good fight, are fun to catch - and because they don't hit as hard as the larger fish, they make good practice trying to hook.
   There were also several nice sized fish. (coming soon) I have included pictures of a few. I tried to take pictures and fish at the same time.
    There many campgrounds in the area, but hotels are sparse. You can find upscale lodging in the 200 dollar a night range at several golf resorts. But the River Pines Resort is much more reasonably priced. It is more rustic - but has a pool and grills and things for the kids. The people who run it are very nice, and the rooms are clean. Your other choice is the Sierra Sky Lodge down the road about eight miles - and that's about it. You have to try Quincey or Portola for other hotels and motels. Fishining the Feather was fun. I recently tried several parts of the river near Graeagle, and did fairly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment