Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fly Lines

    You will need to select the kind of fly line you want.
The fly line is the colored, plastic line. There are two basic types, floating and sinking line. Obviously the floating line floats. The sinking line is usually a lead line that is coated with the colored plastic, and thus - it sinks.
     The sinking line is good for nymphing, or for when the fish are feeding just below the surface. If you have the luxury of multiple reels or interchangeable spools, go with one of each kind of line. But if you can only have one spool of fly line I suggest getting the floating line because you will be able to dry fly fish with it.
And you can easily nymph using a bead-headed nymph or a little split shot.
      The jury is still out on the color of the fly line and if that matters. I have a spool of florescent yellow, a salmon pink, and a light green. But I also have a newer spool of moss green. I seem to get a lot of fish on that reel. Is it just coincidence? Or, is that because fish have a harder time seeing the moss green? I'm not sure yet, but it is something to think about.
     Make sure you get a quality fly line. I have had cheaper brands and I cannot tell you who made them because the reel and line were given to me, so I don't know the maker but it is really hard to straighten out. A couple of days on the reel, and it curls. I go to cast and it curls, making casting more difficult, and in some cases, curling on the water surface and ruining my drift.
     From time to time you might want to clean your fly line especially if it is a floating line. The line can collect dust, dirt and particles and that causes it to sink a bit. You can get a solution, and you just rub down your line to keep it clean. Many people also un-reel their fly line during the winter months and hang it on a garage wall to keep it from curling too much while not being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment