Monday, April 30, 2012

Little Truckee River, California

      Arguably one of the most difficult rivers to fish in America. Actually, it is really easy to fish the Little Truckee. It is just nearly impossible to catch anything despite the fact there are trout everywhere.
Little Truckee River
     The Little Truckee is between Stampede and Boca reservoirs, outside the town of Truckee, California and is a great stretch of river. It is easy to get to.
    It is beautiful. There are lots of fish. There is a lot of great fly fishing water. But it is also a very "technical" river to fish.
     That means you have to do everything just right. You have to be at the right place at the right time. You have to select the right fly. No getting fairly close to the right fly. You have to have it down to the right bug, the right color, and the right size.
     Your cast has to beperfect. Too much splash or the wrong drift and it's all over. These fish are very savvy and selective. They get fished hard, and have seen it all.
     I was there in late October and the fishing was optimal. After a summer of very low flows, the water was up, the temps were very conducive, and you could find fish everywhere. I caught two very nice trout.
     One was behind a pair of side-by-side boulders. I had seen his fins surface a few times. I knew he was there and tossed a size 18, parachute BWO with a size 20 emerger nymph as a dropper. Two casts, and he hit hard. Wham! This fish jumped three times - tossing and turning - trying to throw the hook. What a fighter. He was a meaty fish and I estimated him at about two pounds.
Little Truckee River

      I moved downstream a few yards. A riffle emptied into a fairly large pool. At the head of the pool were two boulders, one behind the other. I had seen another trout on the far side of the bank. I hated to wade into the water and ruin the hole, but I also hated to make a long cast, putting the thicker fly line on the water, and potentially spooking the fish.
     I stepped into the water, about an arm's length from the bank. I cast about a foot ahead of the trout, and the water sucked the fly into the flow. At that moment I saw my parachute BWO slide under the surface and I set the hook. Sure enough, I had the trout. He hit the nymph as the previous trout had done. I netted a really nice fish, about 18 inches long. That's why we fish the Little Truckee.
     Time to move again. I continued downstream a few more yards. That put me in the middle of a large, quiet pool. The water was barely moving, and was very clear. I could see fish rising all around the pool. But I could not get a hit to save my life.
    Another angler came along, and I told him he could have the hole. I had given it my best shot, so it was his now. We talked. I showed him what I had used to catch my two fish. He had caught a couple himself, and gave me a fly to try. I offered him one as well. He took the hole, and I hiked downstream about a quarter of a mile.
       Pretty soon I came to a stretch of food dry fly water. The river almost becomes a small pond. There was a fallen tree across part of the river. Just in front and just behind it, I could see fish feeding.  In fact, they were everywhere. I fished that stretch for nearly two hours and never got a hit. I tried everything I knew to do, but nothing.
      At one point, a really nice trout swam right between my boots – almost rubbing on my leg like a cat! I couldn’t believe it.
     I changed my set-up, but still nothing. I figured I had moved into water where the fish could see me, the line, and everything else much better. The water flowed slowly so they had plenty of time to check it out before hitting.

Little Truckee River

    Eventually, Arlo Townsend, the head guide from the Reno Fly Shop came along with a client. He was very polite and went out of his way to make sure he did not disturb me. We talked and I eventually relinquished the hole to them.            

     Arlo also gave me a few flies to try. I wished them luck and headed out. I had had enough for one day. 
   Several guides I spoke with say that particular hole on the Little Truckee is among the most difficult they have ever fished.
    The best of the best get skunked in that hole. But for those who can land one - the reward is awesome.
     The Little Truckee is one of my favorites, as well as a favorite for hundreds of other fly fishers. But bring your "A" game - and some good luck. You might catch a few.  And remember: "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. "
  Enjoy being on a lovely stretch of river. If you have a rough time, try a guide. The Reno Fly Shop and the Truckee River Outfitters are owned by the same folks.
    Check 'em out at http://www.renoflyshop.com/.
     I also like Joe Cerniglia. You can often find him at Ace Hardware in Truckee. They have a nice fly shop inside, and all the folks there are knowledgeable and helpful. Try emailing Joe at mailto:sawmilllake@sbcglobal.net?
   Good luck - and tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment